The summer heat is finally starting to break in Indiana, so it’s time to start thinking about fall. As you prepare your home for the cooler weather, remember to give your HVAC system a little TLC. Here is an end of summer HVAC maintenance checklist that will ensure your system is in top shape for next summer!
End-of-Summer HVAC Maintenance Checklist
Change your air filter.
- This is the most important thing you can do to keep your HVAC system running efficiently. A dirty filter can restrict airflow and cause your system to work harder, leading to premature wear and tear.
Clean the condenser coils.
- The condenser coils are located outside your home and help to remove heat from the refrigerant. Over time, they can get dirty and clogged with debris, reducing efficiency. You can clean the condenser coils yourself with a garden hose or have a professional do it.
Inspect the drain line.
- The drain line removes condensation from the evaporator coil. If the drain line is clogged, condensation can back up and cause water damage. Inspect the drain line for leaks and ensure it is clear of debris.
Check the refrigerant levels.
- Refrigerant is a gas that helps transfer heat between the evaporator and condenser coils. If the refrigerant levels are low, your system will not work efficiently. Have a qualified technician check the refrigerant levels and add more if necessary.
Have your system serviced by a qualified technician.
- A professional can inspect your system for any other problems and ensure it is in good working order.
- Trim any trees or shrubs that are near your HVAC unit. This will help to prevent leaves and debris from blocking the airflow.
- Set your thermostat to a higher temperature when you are away from home or asleep. This will help to save energy.
- Have your HVAC system inspected by a qualified technician at least once a year. This will help to catch any problems early on and prevent them from becoming major repairs.
By following these tips, you can help keep your HVAC system running smoothly and efficiently all year!
Give your HVAC System the Royal Treatment!
If you’re ready for your end-of-summer HVAC checkup, contact Edwards Royal Comfort. We proudly serve the Greencastle, Crawfordsville, and Danville areas. We are a team of experienced and qualified technicians who can diagnose and repair any AC problem. We also offer a variety of maintenance services to help keep your AC unit running smoothly and efficiently.